Get a marriage licence.

Here is some helpful information about getting licence and certificate.

Have you been divorced?

Divorced in or outside of Canada - make sure you have what you need.

What if I am not Canadian?

You can get married in Ontario.   Here is some information. 

More information is available.

If have more questions, more information is available online. 


To get a marriage licence, you will need to:

  • bring 2 pieces of government-issued identification for each person getting married.  One piece of identification must include your photo.
    Examples of government-issued identification:

    • government-issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates

    • valid passport

    • record of immigrant landing

    • Canadian Citizenship Card

    • valid driver’s licence

    • valid Ontario Photo Card

  • pay a fee (fees vary and depend on the municipality)

Please check the municipality’s website to ensure you have all of the information required to purchase a marriage licence.

A marriage licence is valid for 90 days from the date it was issued.  Marriage licences are valid anywhere in Ontario.

Download the Marriage Licence Application form (PDF)

Find a local city hall, town hall or municipal office


Getting a Marriage certificate.

A marriage certificate is the legal record of a marriage. It lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of the people who were married.

You need this document to:

  • show legal proof you are married

  • apply for certain social benefits

  • settle an estate

  • change a last name

Before you can get a marriage certificate, a marriage needs to be registered. 

After performing your marriage, we register your marriage by sending  a complete and signed marriage licence to ServiceOntario.

A marriage certificate can be ordered online.


Divorced in Canada 

You will need to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of one of three documents:

  • the final decree

  • the final judgment

  • a certificate of divorce

Divorced outside of Canada
IMPORTANT:  If you have been divorced outside of Canada, you will not be granted a license until a Canadian lawyer verifies your documents. No way around this, folks.

  • A Canadian lawyer MUST do the footwork, send things off to Thunder Bay (Registrar General) and then you may apply for a licence. Paperwork needs to be received a few months in advance of the wedding, but in some cases a faster turnaround can be achieved. Once your documents have been approved there is a 90-day window to have your wedding.

  • The official government voice mail 1-800-461-2156 will tell you to expect it to take FOUR WEEKS to be processed once they receive your paperwork. Please make sure that the attorney gives you a breakdown of what you can expect for your money! Anyone charging more than $300 and not sending the paperwork for you is a red flag, and should be avoided.

If you were divorced out of Canada, more information on requirements is available at


You do not have to be a Canadian citizen to marry in Canada. There are no residency or citizenship requirements, nor are there any special requirements for same-sex couples.


Will my Canadian wedding be recognized in my home country?
Canadian weddings are recognized world-wide.  In the case of same-gender couples, if your country recognizes same-sex weddings, your license from Ontario is recognized.

  • Facebook Social Icon

Sister Act Weddings

Serving the Quinte region including Belleville, Quinte West, Hastings and Prince Edward Counties.